Sunday, May 17, 2020

Lazy Sunday Throwback

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 6, now on sale at The Legendary Lead Company.  I have just a few hard copies left of the first printing, available here, and an ebook version in pdf format is available for download here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I’ve been posting a lot of articles lately about “broker’s pencils,” those metal pencils sporting impossibly, overcompensatingly large leads from the likes of Hicks, Edward Todd and others.  As I was thumbing through my archive of old pictures I never got around to using, I thought it was kind of a shame not to share this one with you:


Snake clips are always a crowdpleaser, and this one probably tips you off who made this one:


That clip, identical to clips used by Frank T. Pearce, were later picked up and put into production over at A.T. Cross.  Frank Pearce was a former employee of Cross who, after a few years in friendly independent competition (but more collaboration), died unexpectedly – sadder still, so did his son, and Cross appeared to absorb what remained of the organization.

There’s been a couple articles here about those snake clips, and George T. Byers’ attempt to usurp them from Cross by filing a bogus design patent after Pearce was already using them and then suing for infringement – check out http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-snake-that-wasnt-wrapped-around.html.

At the top, there’s confirmation that this is a Cross – and another opportunity to point out that “AXT” represents A. T. Cross (seems like no matter how many times I say that, the meaning of those letters somehow continues to elude a lot of people).


And it is enormous, a big honkin’ baseball bat of sterling.  Here it is, next to an average-sized Cross pencil:


Note that the regular sized pencil has a plain clip, snake-like but without animal features.  These were produced, I believe into the 1930s.  The elaborate clips Frank Pearce was using in the early 1910s, however, had long since been discontinued by that time.

I’m not sure why I never used these - I think I had a lead on a gold-filled example that never panned out, and I thought they would look so nice shot alongside each other that I decided to wait and see if a gold filled example came my way.  All these years later, guess it never panned out, although a gold filled Cross stockbroker did make it into the blog back in 2012 when I featured the example Jim Rouse had with him at the Baltimore Show that year (see The Leadhead’s Pencil Blog Volume 1, page 190).


Eh - if another one ever finds its way over here, we’ll make another lazy Sunday out of it.

No comments: