Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Like a Really, Really Tall Ninja

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 6, now on sale at The Legendary Lead Company.  I have just a few hard copies left of the first printing, available here, and an ebook version in pdf format is available for download here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

(Originally scheduled to be published on May 9, 2018)

After yesterday’s article, I had finished writing articles about all of the pencils I had photographed . . . sort of. 

Recently I spent waaay too much time trying to find an article I just knew I’d written for the blog, so I could provide a link to it in the updated article.  After exhausting every tab under which I could think to look, it dawned on me that maybe I had only written the piece in my head, as I was photographing the pencil I was thinking of.  Sure enough, there were the images, tucked away in a huge dead letter office on my hard drive, not doing anybody any good.

Like this one:


I still remember picking this one up on Terry Mawhorter’s table at the Baltimore Show – that’s when it was still being held over at the Tremont Grand, so we’re talking five years ago at least.

“Is this what I think it is?” I said.

Terry just nodded.  And I bought it.

I wrote about the Eversharp Skyline Executive early on here at the blog (The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Vol. 1, page 337).  I did fish out the one that shows the Executive alongside its normal-sized siblings for you and adjusted the light and color a bit:


This series is what I call the “Standard I” series of Eversharp Skylines – those with the striped upper barrels and solid lower barrels, with a thin trim ring (those with a wide trim ring I refer to as the “Standard II”).   Until I found the example on Terry’s table, I did not know that they also came in the “Solid II” series - that’s all one color barrel with a thin trim ring (“Solid I” has no trim ring and “Solid III” has a wide one):


Are there other colors and configurations of the Executive?  All has been quiet on the hunting front for five years now [note: seven now!], but never say never.  

No comments: