Saturday, October 20, 2012

I Guess I Didn't Read It Closely Enough

A lot of the stories you see in this blog are about looking more closely at something that looks otherwise ordinary. For example, take this one, which turned up at the DC show.

Looks kind of like a military clip Eversharp, doesn’t it? But on closer examination, this is no Eversharp.  This one reads "Neo" Duplex U.T.M. Patent No. 10130. There may be more numbers at the end of that patent number, since the stamp trails off a bit. Since normally a "duplex" pencil will have more than one color lead, I unscrewed the nose cone to see what was going on inside . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




3 comments:

Michael Little said...

I think I should have just kept that pencil once I got it in my sweaty little talons.
But I can't stand to hear a grown man cry.

yellowdali said...

I am Japanese MP collector.
It is made in Japan.
Neo is a brand name of Shibukawa factory.
I think that it was made around 1930.

Jon Veley said...

Thank you, Yellowdali. Is the translation correct? and is my interpretation of "UTM" correct or does it mean something else? If so, why Malaysia if it's a Japanese pencil?