Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Other Conklin Golf Pencils

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Some time ago, I posted an article about unmarked "golf pencils" such as these, and how I determined that they were in fact made by Conklin (
http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2014/09/ladies-and-gentlemen-check-your-junk.html):


There was a second breed of these, and my friend Joe Nemecek brought one along with him when he came to the Ohio Show last November:


I had known about these for some time, and the first time someone mentioned to me that these were made by Conklin I readily agreed that the top looked like a dead ringer for a Conklin Endura ringtop:


Yet I harbored some skepticism, since I hadn’t seen that front end on a Conklin before. Another of my friends, David Glass, was able to dispel my hesitation with his nice display of "All-American" pen and pencil combinations, clearly marked with the Conklin name. Each had this same front end – which, just like the Ensemble from my previous article, is interchangeable with this golf pencil. These combos also appear in Alfonso Mur’s book, The Conklin Legacy.

No comments: