Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Maybe Not All

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

If I had a nickel for every time an online seller claimed that some junky unmarked pencil they had was a Sheaffer golf pencil . . . ok, maybe I’d only have a dollar. But still, it happens waaaay too often. After all, it’s really easy to detect whether a golf pencil is a Sheaffer, right? The fact that they are marked "Sheaffer" is a dead giveaway, right?

Until the Philly show, I would have said right. Gimme a dollar. Today, however, I say "maybe." As I was going through the pencils in the "mother lode" that turned up at the Philly show, I found this one in a bag of unmarked golf pencils:


If this one had a ringtop, I’d swear it was a Sheaffer. OK, if it had "Sheaffer" marked on it, I’d swear it was a Sheaffer. But them are cheap words. Suffice to say when I was going through things with a friend looking over my shoulder, I looked at it under a loupe, saw it was marked and nevertheless turned around and asked, "doesn’t this look like it’s a Sheaffer?"

John Hall, who was set up at the table next to mine, overheard the conversation and happened to have a couple Sheaffer golf pencils for sale. So we lined them up to see just how close it is:


Wow. Close. Very, very close. Interestingly, John’s black and pearl example was a little bigger around, but the marine green and pearl example was exactly the same diameter, so I tried swapping the tops to see how they fit:


They are threaded differently, so that wasn’t possible. However, as you can see from this picture, everything about these two is otherwise identical: identical proportions, nose cones, everything. So these days, when I say if I had a nckel for every time an online seller claimed to have a Sheaffer golf pencil that wasn’t marked, I might have ninety-five cents in my pocket . . .

And one other instance when I’d say maybe, maybe not.

No comments: