Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Pen that Finally Fits In

Last September, Janet and I made one of our once-in-a-while trips to the Springfield, Ohio Antique Show -- I think this one was one of the "extravaganza" weekends, with more indoor and outdoor dealers than you can possibly see in a day.  Well, I suppose you could just jog past all the vendors, but what's the fun in that?

We contented ourselves to just enjoy what we could for the day and move at a relaxed pace.  One of the people that I did get to see was my friend Judy, a dealer who is just a treat to talk to, with a great sense of humor and a keen memory for who likes what.  She knows I like pens and pencils, so for years she has kept an eye out for me.   Since she makes the effort, I always try to buy from her unless it's something I can't justify buying.

Well, this time Judy had a box of stuff for me to look at.  Usually, the way this goes is she shows me things and asks me how much she should charge.  I tell her, and then she asks if I want them for that.  That puts me in a bit of a pickle, because I want to be fair to her, I want to buy from her, I know she's relying on me, but I know that I'm pretty much naming my price when she asks me.

This time was no different.  The box that she had was mostly pens, a few broken Sheaffers, some newer pens, and a couple pencils -- nothing that would go in my collection.  She asked me what I thought, and I was truthful with her and told her it didn't look like there was anything there for my collection, so all I'd be willing to pay was "X" (numbers omitted to protect the innocent).   As usual, there was no haggling and the deal was done.  I tucked the box under my arm and we moved on.

As I was sorting through them later, though, I found out this one was in there . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




3 comments:

Tony Fischier said...

That's a cool pen and an endearing story!
Thanks for sharing/Tony
http://parkercollector.com

Greg Proctor said...

Jonathan,
I'm glad you are back to posting on Zoss list about your pencil blog. I really enjoy reading them and today's was especially cool.

Jon Veley said...

Thanks Tony and Greg -