Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Yang to My Ying

During the Friday trading at the Chicago show, I decided to wander around a bit while Michael Little was going through Frank Hoban's boxes behind the scenes, and I naturally tended to gravitate around to the front of Frank's table.  There I found a little box with a few pencils in it, and the more I looked, the more excited I got.  By the time I was finished, I'd taken about two thirds of the box.

What struck me the most was the Eversharp "Square 4" pencils that were in there.  I've got quite a few of them, as pictured on page 71 of The Catalogue, but from what I could tell, all the ones Frank had were ones I didn't have -- and all of them were in great condition.   So I had to bring the ying and yang together!

First, there was one in the same red "bumblebee" pattern as the dollar pencil I recently wrote about:


The next one was done in a plastic I've only seen on some later Bantams:


There are bright pinkish red stripes in the grey marble on this one:


The third is an obscure plastic that I've found on later Eversharp pencils that were marked either "Eversharp" or "Monitor" on the clip -- mine is marked "Eversharp":



It's a brownish plastic with random black stripes:


Here's a pair in a grey web plastic.  The shorter one with the twin bands is unusual not only for the different shape and trim, but those red caps (yep, that's what it's supposed to look like) are usually missing and impossible to find:


The middle one is neat in that it has a color matched cap.  These two are shown next to a Doric "Secretary pencil," so named for the long, slender fountain pen that it matched.


There was also this plain olive green one.  These are unusual, because the Square 4s rarely came in boring colors.  It does match well a plain maroon one I had.  Note the difference in the tips - the maroon one is the first generation of Square 4s:


And then there was this one:


and all I can say about this last one is . . .


whoa . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a single Square 4 (always thought it was "4 Square") pencil... It's the same plastic as the Doric secretary that you show, but is a Sqaure 4. Anyway, always a pleasure to read your blog. Thanks.