Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Big Bumblebees

A few weeks ago, when Joe Nemecek was weighing in on wafers (March 4), he had sent me this picture, throwing in to the shot the two bumblebee pattern dollar pencils at the top of the picture.

At the Baltimore show, Joe asked me at one point why I'd turned down that red bumblebee dollar pencil like the one he had.  The answer was simple:  I missed it.  Thanks to Joe, I swung back around and picked it up.  While it was a little rough when I bought it, after a little love and attention it's looking pretty good now . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




1 comment:

Joe Nemecek said...

Au contraire, good buddy! My favorite pencil, as you know, is the 1920's Parker flattop. Many years ago I discovered a slightly smaller version of the Parker flattop Junior. The only difference was the length of the gold crown. I collected two more over the years - searching for knowledge as to the 'why' of this pencil. I thought that I had exhausted all my answer resources. I happened to ask Dan Zazove one day. He had the answer. The pencil was the match for the first year Parker streamline fountain pen. Obsessing over! But, in general, you're right! -smile-