Monday, April 9, 2012

As Simple as A . . B. . Duplex?

This one came from an online auction, and I don't know what to make of it.


The clip is really interesting.  The "AB" logo strongly resembles the "SB" logo found on some Salz Brothers pencils, and the way it is set into the barrel is unique enough that I'm sure there's a patent for it:


Around the top is the imprint "AB Duplex New Pat. Applied No. 13878" - or something like that.  The imprint is very faint, and it took several attempts to get a photograph that captured as much as can be read. 


Reissued patents in the 13,000 range are in the 1914-1915 range, which looks about right to me (although I'd think 1918 to 1922 would be a little closer).  I keep playing with different possible numbers, but I haven't yet found the right patent for this one.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

yellowdali said...

This pencil is mede in Japan.