Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Tripp-Barr Mistique

I don't understand a lot of things about the Tripp-Barr pencils.  I've got a couple examples, which are pictured on page 158 of The Catalogue.

The clear section in the middle reveals spare leads, but I don't know how to get at them.  I have no idea where the patents are for these, and every time I do a google search to find out more about them, the only result I find is my own Mechanical Pencil Museum, in which I present them and say I don't know much about them.

Even more frustrating is that every time one comes along in an online auction, I bid heavier than I know I should (I've listed them at $10 to $15 in The Catalogue, but I've been bidding more than double that) hoping to find one with an imprint or something more to go on, and I keep getting outbid!  This isn't a fluke -- three times I've lost out on these now!

Times like these I'm glad that I don't mind rolling the dice every once in a while on what appears to be a box of junk in an online auction.  One recent lot arrived, and here's one of the things that was in there . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




2 comments:

Terrence A Beverley said...

The Tripp Barr pencil was patented in 1933 by Edmund R. Barany, the paternal grandfather of my wife. We have the original patent documents which are beautiful works in themselves. The Tripp Barr was carried by Macy's and sold for $1.47 with the slogan "Loaded with lead for the year ahead." We have a Tripp Barr brochure and a full newspaper page showing the Macy's ad. The pencil was manufactured and sold in two configurations. One being a two-part solid shaft and the other being a three-part shaft with one of the parts known as an indicator window. To gain access to the spare LED, remove the cap and remove the eraser. Tilt the pencil and the spare LEDs will slide out. tabeverley@gmail.com

Jon Veley said...

Let's do a follow up article! I'll email you now.

Jon