Monday, June 11, 2012

Straight from the Horse's (Inventor's) Mouth

In The Catalogue, you won't find any listing under Nichols Products Company.  There's only a short article indexed under "Tri-point" and a discussion of two of the patents Edgar B. Nichols was awarded for his multi-color pencils, because at the time the book was published, I was unaware of any other models the company made.

Since then, I've had a good time learning about some of the other contraptions Edgar Nichols invented, and I've posted a few articles here about them.  Yep, I figured I had Nichols pretty well covered.

Until a couple weeks ago, when I received an email from Bill Adams in Colorado, who said he had purchased a slew of Nichols pencils recently from an estate.   Not just any estate, mind you:  the estate of one Edgar B. Nichols. 

The first picture he sent me was of a group of fifteen Tri-points, and though the picture wasn't the clearest, I could see some trully fascinating things in there.  So he told me what he wanted for them and I paid it.  Here's the group after they arrived . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




No comments: