Monday, March 26, 2012

One for the Most "Secure" Stockbroker

Stockbroker's pencils are a special breed.  Unlike the giant Eagle pencils, which were a ridiculously large novelty pencil, Stockbroker's pencils are ridiculously large expressions of many power.   They are nearly as unwieldly in the hand, and the lead is bigger than found anywhere else.  Some, like the Mabie Todd example I blogged about recently, are cast out of a brick of 14 karat gold. 

In short (no pun intended), stockbroker's pencils signify loud and clear, that the owner is overcompensating for something.

Which brings us to today's find, which Joe Nemecek turned up at the Baltimore show and allowed me to photograph:


A ringtop stockbroker's pencil.  It fits well in the hand, not like a gold-filled tree trunk, but it uses the same enormous lead, so it functions exactly the same as its larger counterparts.

This example is marked "Victor":


"Victor" appears in The Catalogue at page 160.  All the ones I've seen are demi-sized side clip pencils, in plastics reminiscent of Chicago Conklins, with the same middle-upper barrel joint found on Waterman pencils of the late 1930s.   This is the first time I've seen a Victor stockbroker pencil, but given the others I've seen, I'm not surprised by its small size.

I can just imagine someone pulling this out of his pocket and being taunted by his colleagues for not having a "macho" enough writing instrument on hand.  I can also imagine its owner responding:

"It's not what you write with, it's what you write with it."

No comments: