Friday, March 30, 2012

If only all "Student Pencils" were this nice!

When Carter comes to mind, this is usually what I'm thinking of:


These are the "coraltex" pencils.  Later "pearltex" pencils were every bit as elegant.  But the company also made "student" or utility pencils - here's one shown with a couple of earlier Carter's pencils (the utility pencil is the one on the bottom):


Pencils such as this typically had lesser quality trim and exposed erasers.  Conklin and Wahl did the same sort of thing. 

A while ago at an online auction I found a variation on the Carter utility pencil that really caught my eye:


I'd put this in the "student pencil" category due to the nickel plated (rather than gold filled) trim.


Also, the plastic used is much lighter and thinner than the coraltex or pearltex Carters, although the color is very attractive and I've never seen it on a Carter before. 

Unlike the typical "student pencil," today's example does not have an exposed eraser.  The cover isn't like anything else I've seen on a Carter:


Of course, the first thing I had to do when it arrived was to take it apart, where I found another interesting surprise.  The mechanism is also unique to this example (hence the "Patent Applied For" on the barrel, I should think):


The tip is secured to the pencil solely by friction around that larger protruding rod.   I haven't yet been able to track down the patent, and it could be that one was never issued on the application.  But whether or not the Patent Office thought it was unique, I sure do!

No comments: