Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Dress Togs

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I don’t remember where I found this one, only that once I saw the box, I had to see what was inside:


Such cool styling proved to be the setting for a lowly Sheaffer pencil in “working togs”:


The clip is the earlier flat ball clip, the sort used on the series in 1940 or so:


Complete with sticker, referring me to some pretty serious technical instruction before I “attempt to operate” it:


. . . and, of course, no instructions . . . since I couldn’t pull up the floor of the box to see what was under it, I started looking around to see what I could see.  There was a clue on the bottom . . .


Patent number 1,838,102 is only for a means of attaching the padding material to the box, though, so that one was a dead end.


So I’ve got a lowly pencil in a pretty fancy box.  Sure, someone might have put an unrelated NOS pencil in a pretty nice box, but heck, I like to think someone decided to dress up a Sheaffer working togs pencil for a special occasion.

And speaking of Sheaffer pencils dressed up for special occasions . ..


This one is a later example, marked “Fineline” on the clip.  In fact, I can precisely date this one to 1952, based on what’s printed on the white portion of the barrel:


The Sheaffer Snorkel fountain pen was introduced in 1952, with what is widely considered today to have been the most complicated filling system ever devised for a fountain pen.  So excited was Sheaffer that it even pressed the Fineline pencils – known mostly as advertising pieces – into service promoting the company’s exciting new product.

1 comment:

Bob leeds said...

Flat ball clip dates to '30s on Fountain Pens.