Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Talk About Reverse Trim

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

It’s been a long time since I’ve picked up one of Eversharp’s “half Coronets.”  I don’t remember the origins of the nickname, but it’s a good one and it stuck.  Here’s the Coronets I pictured in 
The Catalogue, at page 69:


Out of all of these, only the example on the far left, with the greenish lower barrel, was actually referred to by Eversharp as a “Coronet.”  The all-metal pencils were – unimaginatively – called the all metal pencil matching Eversharp’s all-metal pens.  All these other versions were called simply repeating pencils.

What you see in The Catalogue has been about it.  I found one a while back which might have had a grey plastic lower barrel instead of blue (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2015/12/what-color-is-this.html), but other than the occasional upgrade to add a price-stickered example, this has been about it (that’s a challenge to you out there, to show me an example that isn’t in the book).

Until the Ohio Show, at which I added the first variant to my collection since at least before I wrote the book:


Here it is shown alongside it’s closest relatives:


I’ve seen a few of these backwards half Coronets, with the plastic on the top end rather than the lower – a really cool variation especially when shown alongside a normal one.  But all the ones I’ve ever seen have that metal band at the top end, while this one has nothing.


The imprints are different, too:


Most of them have the “Genuine Eversharp Made in USA” imprint lengthwise on the barrel, but this one has what I believe to be the earlier “Genuine Eversharp Patented” imprint around the top (probably when the litigation between Gilfred and Eversharp started, which resulted in the invalidation of Gilfred’s patent on the repeating pencil mechanism, which Eversharp blatantly copied, in 1942 – see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-find-of-year.html).

And, of course, it didn’t hurt my feelings a bit that this one has a price sticker on it:


Model 3014SC.  If we ever find an Eversharp catalog listing all these, that bit of information might well come in handy.

No comments: