Sunday, December 4, 2016

M Is For Mabie

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

In a recent online auction, I couldn’t resist this one, even though I thought it might not be an American pencil (I still strive mightily to limit myself to one country of origin, even though it’s been a losing battle lately):


At the nose, there’s a tiny hallmark: a block letter M within a square.


I was so sure that the piece was British that I was thinking Mosley, perhaps even Mordan?  But then I noticed how similar it was to another piece in my collection, one I bought a couple years ago and haven’t gotten around to photographing:


That same combination of gently winding flutes in the center section and snail work at either end couldn’t be just a coincidence, and the gold magic pencil is well marked:


“Mabie, Todd & Co. No. 3.”  So I posted the question online to ask whose hallmark consisted of an M within a square, and within minutes David Nishimura came back with an answer: Mabie Todd.

Good, I replied.  I was hoping you’d say that.

No comments: