Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Another Barrel of Lead

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Pearce Jarvis brought this one along with him to the Ohio Show.  He knew I wouldn’t be able to resist:


This is a Sager, made by Solomon M. Sager’s Sager Pen Corproration, which was famous for it’s plunger-filler pens which held so much ink, Sager trademarked the phrase “Sager Barrel-Of-Ink.”  I’ve always thought it was funny that the barrel-o-ink logo was carried onto the company’s line of pencils, as well:


This example joins two others in my collection, and while it doesn’t have the same pizzazz when it comes to color, the flat top is a kind of interesting development:


The other interesting development occurred when I took this one apart.  I haven’t pulled a Sager apart before:


Recognize that?


Did Sheaffer make Sager’s pencils?  I believe they did.

No comments: