Saturday, January 17, 2015

Who Gave This To Us?


This one has just enough interesting stuff going on that it’s fun to think about:


Now before all you Parker guys get your panties in a bunch, I’m not suggesting this is some rare . . . whatever. Bits and pieces of this one, however, have me scratching my head a bit. Let’s start with the tip, which has the typical Parker dimples around it. For grins, I pulled off the top of this one and posed it next to a 1930s Parkette:


Inconclusive. There’s so many different variations on these mechnaisms that I couldn’t rule the innards out as genuine Parker.

Next, I compare the clip to a comparable example, as seen on a 1930s Parker Vacumatic:


Again, I’d call it inconclusive. The clip is slightly different from a known Vacumatic, but note that there are fewer "feathers" on either side of the arrow, and the border on either side of the word "Parker" flare outwards on the Vacumatic clip. Still, I don’t know if that means it’s a counterfeit Parker clip or another variation on the theme. Then there’s the jewel on the top:


Aluminum, like a first year Parker 51. Finally, as to that lower barrel, I don’t know why there’s two gold filled bands on an otherwise white metal-trimmed pencil. Furthermore, I haven’t seen that plastic used on a Parker before, which has me reading the cryptic imprint and nodding in agreement:


"Who Gave This To Me?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess is the Japanese. I have seen a few Japanese Vacumatic knockoffs. The clip on your pencil look something like the Japanese Vacs I've seen. The plating is always cheap, cheezy and flakes of easily. The clips resemble Parker clips, but are always off a bit in the different elements and overall look.

Have you seen a Hawaiian Vac, yet? I haven't had one for a few years. I don't know if that company made matching pencils for the pens...