Monday, September 3, 2012

My Inner Hillbilly

Labor Day weekend is, for me, more than just a long weekend and a sign that the summer is winding down. It’s my chance, once a year, to live up to every stereotype big-city types have of rural Ohio and embrace my inner hillbilly – at Swapper’s Day in Johnstown, Ohio. And I do it with gusto.

Swapper’s Day is a flea market/gun swap/dog show and sale held at the Sportsman’s Club grounds just outside of Johnstown, and I’ve been going there for probably close to twenty years now. Usually there’s dozens of yard sales all along the state routes leading to the Sportsman’s Club, but with limited time (and when Janet goes, on limited patience) I usually forego those and head straight for the main event.

This year, since it was raining, we took the F-150, as four-wheel drive is a must in the muddy marsh that is the parking field.  Here’s what the event looks like as you are coming in the gates . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




No comments: