Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Man Scorned

A few weeks ago, I was discussing the "Real Housewives of Minneapolis," and the determination with which Frank J. Vierling patented improvements to his wife Mary’s pencil design, the Dow. The last one of his patents along these lines, which he applied for on August 6, 1927, was the only one that identified an assignee: "Snap Point Pencil, Inc."

The existence of an assignee suggested that the pencil went into production at some point, although I’d never seen one. That changed in DC . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




1 comment:

Michael Little said...

Looks like I am going to have to rethink how much I charge Mr. Veley for these obviouisly valuable pencils.
Based on the excitement he is showing, I may have to triple my prices.
I would have already done if we didn't share the same college alma mater....

Michael Little
Ebay: Halfhyde