Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sort Of Against My Will

I really don’t want to get into collecting English pencils. I’m serious. This isn’t like my feeble protests of not being a "wood pencil guy" but continuing to buy them every so often – I really have made an effort not to buy pencils that aren’t American.

It’s not that I have anything against foreign pencils, because many are every bit as good or better than anything the American manufacturers produced, it’s just that I know myself too well. I buy one, and the next one I see that would look good next to it comes my way, and the next thing I know, I’m building shelves on another wall in the pencil room. I’m running out of walls.

So about the only exception I have made to my all-American stand has been English Eversharps, which fit in so nicely with my Eversharp collection that it just doesn’t seem right to exclude them.

This story, unfortunately, doesn’t involve an English Eversharp.

Late on the last day of the DC show, after I’d blown most of the cash I wanted to spend, Alan Hirsch comes up to me with a little box and wants to know what I think . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




1 comment:

Michael Little said...

Well, if you feel that guilty about having them, send em my way. I have no problems buying English or German or Italian....
Two of my very favorites, Kaweco and Rotring are German...well Rotring was German...these days they seem to come from Japan.

Michael Little