Saturday, September 22, 2012

Odd Ducks

The Riedell, as the title of today’s article suggests, is an odd duck. It appears on page 126 of The Catalogue, and in addition to the fact that I’ve never had one in working condition, I can’t figure out how they ever did.

The internal workings look like they were designed by Dr. Seuss – here’s the picture from page 126 showing the tip removed:


In Chicago, as Mike Little and I engaged in our early swap-a-thon, I found two amongst his hoard:


The orange one is a duplicate of the one shown in The Catalogue, but I don’t care – these are too rare to pass up when you find one! And the red one still has the price sticker:


The price, sometime in the late 1920s, was $2.50


The price sticker indicates that these were "Repeaters," although the top is just a screwed on piece of plastic. While neither one of these is working, they are mint enough that I now understand at least how they were supposed to work: the nose cone twists and springs back to its original position. I messed around with one of them while Mike and I were talking, and I thought I had it working, but when I went to show Mike, nothing happened . . .

It was like I heard a Who or something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does that patent number reveal about these odd ducks?

Dennis

Jon Veley said...

I'm at a dead end when it comes to finding the patent on this one. Nothing helpful on the pencil or the paper label. I've paged George Kovalenko to see if he can help-