Sunday, July 8, 2012

Because They Were So Darned Cheap

Terry Mawhorter loves it when I go to his auctions.  It's not that I'm a big spender that will drive the price of a $2,000 pen up to $5,000 or anything, it's because usually, assisted by a couple of drinks, I'm bidding on stuff when nobody else is just because I think something's going a little too cheap.

But at the Raleigh show, I had to make a special effort not to indulge in liquid encouragement before auction time, since Terry had asked me to help out auction and I was not sure what level of sobriety would be required for the job.  I assumed that my newfound lucidity would dampen my enthusiasm and keep my hand from flying up in Pavlovian response to the words "Lot Number . . ."

I was wrong.  Well, ok, I didn't buy a bunch of things that are completely unrelated to my collection (I'm still wondering what I was thinking at the Ohio Show's auction last November), but I did bid on some things that I wouldn't normally go for, like these . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




No comments: