Sunday, April 8, 2018

These Never Get Old

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I don’t remember whether these came from Ed Fingerman, but they did come home from the DC Show last August


I’ve dropped a lot of pictures of Hicks pencils here.  Usually they aren’t technically very interesting, and the same is true of these - a standard rear twist pencil, and a run-of-the-mill magic pencil.  I can’t help myself whenever I see a nice Hicks though.  There’s just something about how well made they were, and how beautifully constructed . . . so close to the line between utilitarian object and art that you have to wonder whether their original owners spent more time writing with them or admiring them.



No comments: