Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Nice Duet of Tripoints

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

It seems that this blog has been promoting some interest in the Nichols Products Company’s Tri-Points lately, which is great since I’ve felt like the cult pencil’s entire fan club for so long, but it also means I face competition for nice examples these days.  I have turned up a couple interesting ones lately.  This one, for example, turned up in a dollar junk box at the Springfield Extravaganza last summer:


I’ve only seen one other all-metal incarnation of the Tri-Point, and it came from the Edgar Nichols estate (that’s the Nichols in Nichols Products Corporation).  I can’t say either way whether the cap, contrasting with the nickel plated barrel, is original:


It does fit nicely, and if it didn’t come with this pencil, I don’t know what it did come from . . . so I’ll give it a pass.  Besides, comparing it to my other, chrome-plated example, there are some design similarities, with two slightly flared rings:


But this one has a much earlier ball clip, and one other thing which sets it apart from the other examples:


Other than the earliest of Edgar Nichols’ personal prototypes I acquired from his estate, this is the only example I’ve found lacking a Nichols Products imprint.

No comments: