Saturday, April 21, 2018

Parting Shot in Chicago

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Once a pen show winds down and John Hall and I have packed up our cart like the Grinch’s sleigh, delicately navigating through the aisles and out to the truck is a complex operation.

If it wasn’t a rule from the Bro Code on How I Met Your Mother, it should have been: A Bro Never Makes Two Trips.

I remember that we had everything loaded and we were carefully picking our way out of the hotel, I still had to stop . . . fully loaded cart right in the middle of the aisle . . . when this distracted me on Paul Kovanda’s table:


Morrison is something of a closet obsession of mine - I’ve even got a little collection of Morrison pens, tucked away in the second-from-the-bottom drawer of a printer’s cabinet in the museum:


One of the things I like about the company’s offerings is that they are packed with visual interest.  These are just plain cool, with those stripes on top, the deep chasing and distinctive clips:


I usually like the imprints on these, and I’ve searched high and low for a pencil with the “Black Beauty” imprint to match these pens (you might have noticed a few Black Beauties in my pen drawer):


This set is as mint as they come, complete with a price band every bit as cool as the imprint:


But alas, the pencil may be packed with style, but not with an imprint.

No comments: