Thursday, May 13, 2021

Another Victorian Hoard (Twin Rabbit Holes)

This article has been included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 7, now available here.


If you don't want the book but you enjoy the article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

The online seller from whom I had purchased a very productive hoard of Victorian pens, pencils and fountain pens was back again a week later, opening an auction on a second batch of stuff:


From what I could tell, this bunch didn’t look like it was going to be as productive as that last lot - that would have been tough to top, with that Mont Blanc baby safety as the undisclosed icing on top.  Still, I saw a few things that looked interesting, and I was doing a much different calculation in my head than any other bidder was doing: I was averaging.

In my mind, the first lot was spectacular, and I underpaid by several hundred dollars.  If I overpaid for the second lot by several hundred dollars . . . well, in my demented mind I about broke even on the two lots.  Stupid, I know . . . but after that first lot was SO good, I knew how likely it was that there would be at least a few good things in this bunch, too.

In the end, I paid less than I thought I would have to.  One small pen proved to be a Wirt, and it found its way to a Wirt collector for a price that offset quite a bit of the cost.  Two tiny Wahl ringtop pens would make up the rest of the purchase price for everything.  The large silver pencil at center is marked Mordan, and if I ever find the right cap for it, I’ll be on the plus side.

Most of the early slider pencils were unmarked, so back they go into circulation, along with two run-of-the-mill Eversharp ringtops.  That ridiculous pencil with the tacky “overlay,” for a better word, went straight to the junk box. 

Yet three pieces out of this mess have found their way into my collection.  The first is a commanding magic pencil:


It’s marked “Simmons” near the top of the case:


“Convertibles,” I call these . . . although I don’t know if that’s just my nickname for them or whether I saw them formally referred to as such, somewhere along the line in this long adventure.  The name suits their function: the pencil can either be advanced into position and used within its case, or it can be completely removed from the sheath if it’s chained to your watch fob or necklace.  Here it is next to the other Simmons I’ve found, shown removed from the case:


I wrote about that other Simmons pencil here in 2018 (Volume 5, page 196).  I’ve retraced my steps to see if I have anything new to add, and I’m still only sure of two things: first, I’m sure it was made by Cross.  Second, I think it’s unlikely that this is the same “Simmons” for which a trademark was registered for pencils – the registrant, the Simmons Hardware Company, seems an unlikely producer of a luxury-level pencil like this.

But heck - it’s only been a couple of years since I set this particular fishing line.  Someone will know something.

Then there were two other things I added to my collection.  Only two.  After the first lot added several beautiful items to my collection, you might assume this was the lesser of the two mini-hoards -- but I don't see it that way.  With that first bunch, I was able to explain in just one article what was special about each of the items that went into my collection from it, because every one of them was just a little variation on ground I’ve already covered.

What made this lot special was that the two other items I'm adding to my collection from it turned over fresh soil.  After nearly 1,400 articles posted here over the years, it always amazes me that I’m still finding completely new territory to explore.  Explore I did, emerging from twin rabbit holes with two great stories – one about a name you’ve never heard before, the other exploring details I didn’t know about a well-known name.

Two great stories in one lot, numerous great artifacts in the other . . . I guess they are about even to me.

1 comment:

lindamller said...

A couple of those ringtop fountain pens are very interesting...I might be able to give them a good home.