Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Observation of the Century

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Not long ago, a full-sized Century pencil owned by Joe Nemecek limped into the museum for repairs.  After I got it working again, I took a shot of it alongside my ringtop example for grins:


I also shot it alongside a couple identical pencils marked “EVRDA” on the clip.  EVRDA (short for Everyday) was the name A.A. Waterman last traded under, during his last enterprise with the Chicago Safety Pen Company (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2012/11/evrda.html).


I don’t have much else to offer about these, except for the observation that there were two variations of the EVRDA clip:


It's difficult to tell, but it looks like both the ball clip and flat clip variations appear in the catalog excerpt I included with that last article:


No comments: