Monday, August 21, 2017

Speaking of Eclipses . . .

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

The day of the Great American Eclipse seemed the perfect opportunity to share some Eclipse pencils, now that my museum reorganization project has them all neatly organized in a printer’s cabinet.  The first row starts with the earliest “Never Dull” and “Fin-Sharp” (after Marx Finstone, the founder) pencils, followed on the right by early Eclipse-marked versions:


The next row starts off with a transitional overlay pencil and two ultra-unusual Eclipse repeating pencils based on the Presto.   Then come what I believe are the finest examples of the brand, lavish and oversized flattop pencils with flared caps and Eclipse’s patented 1925 clip:


This next tray features similar Eclipses, but in lesser colors and with plain black caps.  I’ve always thought these were probably later versions of the flared cap flattops, but I don’t have any documentation of that suspicion.  As for the ones with straight gold-filled caps, I would tend to believe they are earlier than the flared top pencils in the preceding picture . . . but again, I don’t have any documentation:


This next tray features pencils very similar to the oversized flattops in the preceding two photos, but with straight, black hard rubber caps.  The pencils on the right show the influence of the Sheaffer Balance which became popular in 1929, leading me to believe they were made in the early 1930s:


Then there are the later Eclipses, which tend to be long on style and short on technical innovation.  All of these are nose drive, middle joint pencils.  Note that a couple on the left have stepped top caps like the company’s Monroe subbrand.  I suspect those with the flat black top caps mght be Canadian.  The four on the left are Eclipse “Streamline” pencils - the red lizard pattern is my newest addition.  The blue one with the wide gold center section is a “Hooded Knight”:


And here are a couple Eclipse subbrands.  Most of these are Marxtons (again, taking their name from the company’s founder, Marx Finstone); those on the right are “Vogue” pencils identical to the Eclipse Streamline, as well as a couple others with that same clip (the “Non-Stop” and the “Linton”:


What about the Monroe?  I decided they were far too pretty to confine to a drawer.  They remain proudly displayed on the wall o’ pencils.

Finally, there’s this:


Rob Bader brought this to the Raleigh show a couple years ago, and I haven’t figured out what to do with it yet.  I’ve never seen an Eclipse display case before, but this one is incomplete and only holds 18 items . . . Rob hadn’t told me a price yet and I was hesitant to make an offer.  Those who know Rob will chuckle when I tell you I remember his exact words to me at that moment, delivered in that Memphis drawl of his: “I am telling you I’m NOT taking it home with me, so what are you willing to give me?”

Rob was right – he didn’t take it home.  Someday maybe I’ll find a top to fit it (strainger things have happened), and someday maybe I’ll figure out which 18 to display in it.  Of course, maybe I’ll buy 18 more.  After all:


“It’s Smart to Buy an Eclipse.”

No comments: