Thursday, December 25, 2014

Twelve Eagles . . . Eagling

I know, the twelve days of Christmas start on Christmas day. I just don’t want to wait that long to tell you about these. The Eagle Spear is a longtime favorite of mine:


The "828" designation is for the red or "russet" color enamel over brass. Eagle had several variations on this theme: the black number 831 Spear line, in varying trim configurations, as well as the "Trumpet," the number 826 "Geisha" and the number 827 "Leopard." On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 meaning "swatting them away like flies" and 10 being "maybe I’ll see another one in a decade or so," I’d give the russet number 828 a solid 3 or 4. The trick is finding them in good condition, and this one is as clean as they come.

But, as you might suspect, that’s not where this story ends. This one came to me via Keith Prosser, who dropped me a line a few weeks ago to let me know he had this one, along with . . .


The rest of the dozen, mint, in the box, and even accompanied by twelve full tubes of spare leads. On a rarity scale, that dials this find up from a three or four to an eleven . . .

Or to an even twelve, I should say.

No comments: