Sunday, October 12, 2014

This One Elevated My Understanding

A couple weekends ago, I introduced an "unmarked" calendar pencil. Using my powers of deductive reasoning, I had concluded that my pencil must be a Dur-O-Lite:


Soon after that article published, my friend John Coleman emailed me to let me know that he also has a similar pencil:


John’s scientific analysis, however, was much more sophisticated than mine. He had already concluded that his pencil was a Dur-O-Lite by empirically . . . removing the cap:


I’ll admit to doing some pretty stupid things and with alarming frequency, but this wasn’t one of those times. When I went back to see if my example has the same imprint under the cap, I felt a little better about not looking. The cap on mine won’t budge, and I remember thinking that with that slightly different cap treatment and the calendar feature, maybe it isn’t supposed to. I know now that it probably does, but I still don’t see the need to force it.

But John’s pencil has one other curious feature worth noting:


That script "Otis" in a globe is a vintage logo for the Otis Elevator Company, founded in 1853 by Elisha Otis. John reports that the initials on his pencil are "H.O." – nice to think the pencil might have royal elevatorial pedigree, but I don’t have any reason yet to think that’s anything more than a coincidence.

And for those of you who are wondering: yes, I checked the top of mine to see if it had a cool logo on top, and it doesn’t.

But I’ll admit John’s email made me go back and look!

No comments: