Wednesday, October 22, 2014

So Right

In the late 1920s, Eversharp introduced pencils in "bumblebee" plastics (that’s a collector’s nickname, not official Eversharpese, from what I understand). Here’s the teal "bumblebee" I posted here a couple years ago (http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2012/01/no-price-sticker-but-something-even.html):


Since then, I have found an example in yellow, the color from which the nickname more properly originates. In fact, I found a pen and pencil set:


And this is how bumblebee sets are typically found, with a flattop pens paired with a crown top pencils. That’s how Wahl marketed sets until the introduction of what I’ve referred to as "Tempoint pencils" around 1927 or 1928, as seen on page 61 of The Catalogue:


I’ve grudgingly come to refer to these as "Tempoint-styled" pencils in deference to Wahl pen enthusiasts who objected to my use of the moniker (Wah

l’s actual "Tempoint" line was made in hard rubber and had been discontinued by the time the company introduced the new plastic line). These pencils just look so much better when paired with one of the pens, and I’ve always wondered why the company made pencils in that striking bumblebee plastic that looked more like . . . well, like this:


I nearly breezed right by this one at the Chicago show in May. It looks so natural – so right – that unless you stop and consciously think about the top being different and the girth being bigger, you wouldn’t be inclined to think this one is anything all that extraordinary. I’m glad I did stop and did consciously think about it, because this is the only one like it I’ve seen.

Now to find the full-size model with the roller clip . . . and maybe one with a deco band . . .

No comments: