Tuesday, July 11, 2017

What I Wasn't Expecting

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Since I’m on a “plug the holes” mission with my Eversharp collection, now that I can see where they are, I decided to throw in a bid online on this group:


The one in the center was the target of my affection . . . it’s one of the Square 4 derivative pencils, in a gray pearl I haven’t seen used on these before.


Of course, with a proper cap fitted, it is much more handsome:


It is also a little unusual to find these with advertising on them.  This one advertises the Englewood Electrical Supply Company:


And so, with that little tidbit photographed and tucked away in its proper place, I set about examining the other two items that came with it.  The upper one is a maroon Eversharp Skyline Press Clip I – the most common color in the most common series – in nice condition but one that went straight into the duplicates for sale box.  The other one is an Eversharp checking pencil with a typical mechanism for that middle generation made between 1922 and 1928:


(I ran down the differences between the first year checking pencils from 1921, these pencils, and the late-1928 and 1929 version back in 2013, at https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/07/good-thing-im-crazy.html.)

I didn’t have much hope for this one, since even in the auction pictures, I could tell that there was some serious wavyness in the barrel:


But when it arrived, I was surprised to see there wasn’t a single chip in the paint.  That’s a little odd, since my other black second generation checking pencil doesn’t have any dents, but it’s got a few big chunks of paint missing:


It didn’t make any sense that one of these could sustain so many dents without losing any of the paint, and on closer examination, I learned why:


Those aren’t dents, and that isn’t paint.  This checking pencil has a thin plastic covering over a brass barrel, just like the English Eversharps along the same lines, which has become distorted . . . also just like the English Eversharps along these same lines:



Just last month, when I was showing off “My (Latest) Favorite Weird Eversharp” (https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2017/06/my-latest-favorite-weird-eversharp.html), I commented that that all the other Eversharps I had seen which were built this way were English.  Now, within the span of a month, two American examples have surfaced.

There’s a reason I never say “all of these are this way,” preferring instead “all the ones I’ve seen are this way.”  I may have seen a lot, but I know I’ll never see it all.

No comments: