Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An Eagle Update

Some people have a hard time admitting when they are wrong, but I am not one of them.  When I admit I'm wrong, in doing so I'm saying at the same time that I've learned something new that is right.

Today I get to admit I was wrong twice, in both cases regarding statements I've made about The Eagle Pencil Company.  This article corrects statements I've made concerning the "Stars and Moons" Epenco pencils (page 49 of The Catalogue, as well as my entry here on November 22) and the "Arrow clip" Eagles (page 48 of The Catalogue and my entry here on November 20). 

I'll start with the "stars and moons," because it was a discussion of that article on the Zoss List that led me to make both discoveries.  When Mike Kirk said that he had heard the "stars and moons" pattern was called the "Merlin" (and Mike Little suggested I should be turned into a frog for some reason), I started digging into the history of these pencils a little further to see what I could find . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company



1 comment:

Steve said...

Wish I could see the pictures, but Safari isn't showing them!
Benjamin Hanle, the patent applicant mentioned here, is my wife's grandfather.