Tuesday, November 29, 2011

And Presto! My Good Deed Definitely Went Unpunished

At some point, most collectors end up buying things against their will.  We've all had someone come up to us and say, "You're the pencil guy, right?  I've got something to show you . . ." and then we end up looking at something they are a lot more thrilled to show to us than we are to look at.

What I always try to remember in those circumstances is that while antique dealers are in the business to make a profit, they wouldn't be doing it if they did not get a sense of pleasure out of finding things that make people happy.   I figure, as I mention in the collecting section of The Catalogue, that if someone has taken the time to put something aside to show me, I'm going to take the time to appreciate the gesture and, unless the price is unreasonable, I'm going to buy what they are offering even if I'm not really interested.  If nothing else, I'll take the time to explain to the dealer what the piece is and how although I'd love to have it (sometimes it's a little hard to keep the straight face when I say this part) I would just have to pass this time.

After all, if this dealer finds a really spectacular piece next week, what I'd want that dealer to remember is to save it for me -- not that I'm the guy who never buys anything from him or her anyway.

This story started out as one of those stories.  One of the regular dealers from the Scott Antique Market still remembers me from a couple of years ago, when I was excited to find a few nice pens and pencils that I bought from him.  Every month since, when he sees me, he says "You're the pen and pencil guy, right?"   Unfortunately, most of the time he follows that with, "You know, I had a bunch of pens here this morning, and I sold them to someone.  They were really nice pens,  Don't remember what they were though."

Yeah.  I love hearing that.   But I've always managed to keep a pleasant face and say "Oh well, maybe next time you will show them to me?"

I thought maybe this time it had finally sunken in.  I arrived at his booth and he said to me, "Hey, I've got a pen to show you that you might be interested in."  He hands me a small box and I open it up to find this . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company



No comments: