Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Murco Revealed

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

When I embarked on a project to document little known advertising pencils a few months ago, one of the groupings of pencils I assembled was this bunch, all marked “Murco” on the clip:


Each of these bears a strong resemblance to products manufactured by the Ritepoint Company, but I hadn’t gotten around to writing about these yet because I didn’t have any idea what Murco meant:


Jim Carpenito answered this question for all of us at the Baltimore Show weekend before last, when he revealed a stash of new old stock Murcos he’d found:


It’s nice to find an example this clean, since the plating wasn’t that good on pencils intended to be given away:


Underneath these pencils was paperwork explaining everything:


The Thomas D. Murphy was another calendar company - just like Shaw Barton, Gerlach Barklow and Osborne among others, Murphy also chose to offer advertising pencils to its customers – also made by Ritepoint, but in much smaller numbers.  

After I read the paperwork that came with Jim’s pencil, I couldn’t wait to get home and ransack pencil central, because I knew I had a pencil marked “Murphy” somewhere at home that Mike Little had sent to me.  Took a bit of rooting around, but I found it:


This one sports a little nicer clip, with Murphy and a little picture of a tree on it . . .


. . . and there’s a band of unusual little red trees around the lower cap, as well:


I had no idea what those little trees were all about until I unfurled the Murco paperwork.  Those aren’t just trees:


Those are oaks.  Red oaks, to be specific!

No comments: