Monday, March 2, 2015

Canton Pearl

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

When we last left the story of Eversharp’s "ladies’ purse pencils" and "clasp pencils," I left you with this:


And the unsatisfying comment that there’s a bluish one out there called "Canton Pearl." I’ve been searching for one for more than a decade now.

As if on cue, a grouping of pencils shows up in an online auction not two weeks later, and right in the middle of the picture was this:


Sitting like a diamond in a pile of pea gravel was a Canton Pearl purse pencil. There were a couple other nice pencils in the lot to drive up the price, so I’m not sure anyone else picked up on what this one was. If they did, the price I paid is a significant indicator of how rare and desirable Canton pearl pencils are – I ended up paying more than a hundred bucks for the lot, and this one had a broken clip:


Luckily, by coincidence I had gone for another example in this series on a lark, hoping that this Kashmir pearl example would be the larger size model - it turned out to be an exact duplicate, but for the mere ten bucks it cost me, in these circumstances a clip transplant makes a lot of sense:


The clip is secured in the cap by a small flathead screw that threads directly into the celluloid, and that’s one of the reasons these are so rare. This construction, combined with the ultra-fragile nature of these plastics, is a lethal combination. After I remove the screw, the best way to pull the clip out is by inserting a toothpick under the clip right where it enters the barrel and work it straight out. I was lucky that the Canton pearl one had enough of the metal still sticking out that I was able to pull it with a pair of pliers.


The donor clip is very, VERY carefully eased into the slot. Drop the screw in, give the screwdriver a couple GENTLE twists – not too tight because you will shatter the plastic – and . . .


I’ve been waiting for this picture for a long, long time . . .

1 comment:

greg said...

Nice group! Some of those colors really pop, one of the nice things about pencils.

--greg