Saturday, October 20, 2018

Two Puzzling Details

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

The Sta-Rite appears in The Catalogue on page 151.  At the time I only had turned up a few of the plastic models, and since I didn’t catch the hyphen in the name on the clip, I identified them as the “Starite.”  The metal examples I’ve stumbled across since the book was written:


Early metal ones have a nice script logo stamped on them:


While most plastic ones have the name in vertical block print, I have found one with that script imprint:


There’s two things that bug me about the Sta-Rite, one of which I’ve mostly figured out and the second . . . well, you’ll see about that.  The first is a tantalizing snippet view from the May 29, 1926 edition of Fourth Estate, which told me almost everything I want to know: the manufacturers of Sta-Rite pens and pencils were located at 158 Pine Street, Providence, Rhode Island . . . but it didn’t tell me who the manufacturer was.  The cut-off advertisement even suggests there’s a trademark filed, but none turned up in the course of researching American Writing Instrument Trademarks.


After far too much flailing around, I was finally able to generate a snippet which provided the preceding few words:  Improved Pencil Company.  Now that’s a company with which I’m familiar!  It was established in 1922, according to this announcement in the Jewelers’ Circular on January 11, 1922:



The company was on my radar for another reason entirely: in 1933, the Improved Pencil Company moved into the former facilities of The Tri-Pen Manufacturing Company, makers of Triad pens and pencils – see Volume 2, page 73. 

Now for the second head-scratcher concerning the Sta-Rite.  Recently, I brought this example home:


If that clip looks familiar, it should:


That’s a Waterman Patrician.


With the same clip, protected by Waterman’s design patents:


We know from the “closeout Patricians” that Waterman used up old Patrician parts until they were exhausted – the company didn’t sell them off to some jobber to stamp with a third-tier brand name!

No comments: