Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Rex By Any Other Name

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

This pencil was one in a lot of ten or so from the auction in Raleigh last June:


At the top it bears an imprint for Artcraft:


It matches something I missed out on online a while back – this time it wasn’t that I forgot to bid or overlooked it; I was flat-out outbid despite my best efforts:



I should have bid more.  Now that I’ve found an identical one marked Artcraft, I can place what the Victor is.  Here’s my other Artcraft:


Focus on the ends, and ignore that engraving all over the metal bits of the ringtop – those are the same pencil, and they were both made one of my favorites, the Rex Manufacturing Company, made under Lawrence T. McNary’s 1924 patent. 

No comments: