Sunday, September 14, 2014

Fun For On The Road

I picked this one up awhile back, not because it solved some earth-shattering mystery that I’m going to lay on you on a lazy Sunday morning, but just because I thought it was really cool and I liked it:


This Rite-Rite Travel Kit features at its heart an example of the translucent-barreled Rite-Rite pencils. Rite-Rite, like many other companies such as Eagle and Scripto, tried to get in on the see-through craze of the 1930s. However, the Rite-Rite version wasn’t as successful, and there are significantly fewer of these out there than a common Scripto K70 or Eagle Automatic. Also, these had a really neat riveted clip, which is rarely found still clinging tightly to the barrel:


But the part of this that I thought was really great was the box, the top of which swivels to the side to open.


I’ve no reason to think the contents were assembled after the fact, although finding an advertisement or catalog that shows that this package is complete and as it should be would be nice. In the meantime, I’m content to show this one off as it is.

No comments: