Wednesday, April 17, 2013

This One Doesn't Bug Me So Much

Maybe Joe’s right. Maybe I am a little bit Patrician crazy.

I mentioned awhile ago, while discussing the Sheaffer desk pencil, how desk pencils generally bug me. Heck, they don’t even fit on the same shelves or the same drawers as all my other pencils! But when this one popped up in an online auction, I just couldn’t resist:


The seller called it a "Patrician styled desk pencil." I didn’t even notice who the seller was until after the auction closed, when I got a note from "ohiopenshow," and realized I was dealing with Ben Mawhorter, Terry’s son. It’s nice that Ben called this one "Patrician styled" when he wasn’t sure, but I think he would have been safe to call this one a Patrician desk pencil. Advertisements of the time show the Patrician in desk pen form, and besides, what else could it be?


There’s a couple interesting trim rings at the top and bottom of the center section, but you’d expect some slight differences in the trim configuration for the desk version of a pen and the imprint matches the one found on later Patricians (the earlier ones just say "Pat. Apl’d For"):


Compared to a regular Patrician pencil, you can see just how big this thing is:


The tip section, which is extremely long on the regular Patrician line, is freakishly long on this one!


With the tops unscrewed, both the regular Patrician and the desk version have the same eraser assembly:


I tried to put the desk taper onto the regular Patrician, but the desk pencil is ever so slightly larger and it fit more tightly than I was comfortable with (now THAT would be a dumb way to break a Patrician pencil). However, the regular Patrician top fit quite nicely on the desk pencil . . .


Boy. That’s just wrong.

2 comments:

David Nishimura said...

Waterman's big desk pens and desk pencil resemble the Patrician, but they weren't really Patricians.

The pens are never found with Patrician nibs, and Waterman literature never describes them as Patricians.

Jon Veley said...

So what DID Waterman call them in its literature?