Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Autopoint's Tab Fillers

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

At the Michigan Pen Show, I was strolling by Pat Spidel’s table when I noticed a box for a pen and pencils set.


Pat was the source for several sets I purchased at the Ohio Pen Show a year ago, so I had to take a peek inside:


I pulled the cash out of my pocket quick as a jackrabbit.  This is an Autopoint tab filler fountain pen and pencil set:



I’ve written about the pencils before – most recently when I found a ringtop at the Chicago Show (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2016/09/who-knew.html):


Now with a pen in hand,  I can show you how the tab filler gets its name:


Under the blind cap is a tab which depresses the lever by pushing it to one side, rather than pushing in like a button filler.  This pen has a nice Autopoint nib, too:


As I prepared to take the set back to my table, Pat mentioned that he had another one, too - a parts pen.  I couldn’t resist that one, damage notwithstanding, because I knew how nice it would look alongside the others:


This one sports a Welty’s nib, not an uncommon thing to see on an Autopoint pen.


William Welty was a pen seller in Chicago who likely purchased Autopoint’s remaining stock and fit them with nibs of his own.

1 comment:

teri morris said...

We have a Welty Autopoint with both imprints on the barrel, and it does not look like one imprint came before the other. This suggests Welty had enough Autopoint parts to bother creating their own stamp.