Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Waterman 96?

At the Raleigh (Triangle) Pen Show this year, I was flagged down almost immediately upon arrival by George Rimakis, a very young and energetic collector who I’ve seen at shows but with whom I’ve not had much chance to interact. He had some "weird Watermans" to show me, and Joe Nemecek (the earlier bird to whom he’d shown these particularly juicy worms) had advised George that between the two of us, I was the weird Waterman department.

I looked, I admired, and ultimately I decided to try to live up to my reputation as "Weird Waterman Man" and brought home three of the Watermans, two of which I’ll share today. While I don’t think I’m an expert on these, now that I’ve studied these more closely I think I’ve learned a couple things.

The first is what George called an "unfinished" Patrician in onyx, shown here at bottom next to a fully trimmed coutnerpart:


To learn more, this full article is included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 2, available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and everywhere else you buy books, or you can order a copy signed by yours truly through the Legendary Lead Company HERE.



3 comments:

Jim Carpenito said...

...or, the 3-digit designation meant that these were items that were offered to employees, at a discounted price, and not meant for sale to the public. That would give some meaning to the employee provenance that you mentioned earlier in your article. Just an additional thought.

Jon Veley said...

That might be, Jim. Rob's Lion and Pen article didn't mention that possibility, but he's not conclusive about what the extra "9" does mean.

And, note that the end caps and bands were specially made for this - suggests an actual model rather than something made just for employees.

Do you have anything concrete to indicate an extra 9 denoted an employee discounted item?

jim Carpenito said...

Wish I did.