Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Why a Bird in the Hand Is Better

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I’ve had a couple of opportunities to handle and photograph Sheaffer Balance-era double ended pencils over the years - Pat Mohan and Mike Kirk were both very generous with their time in allowing me to photograph them (see 
http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2015/01/at-other-end-of-sheaffer-lovers-club.html and http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-middle-part-is-best.html).  Don’t get me wrong, but there’s a reason I’d rather have one back at Pencil Central for some serious comparing to other things in the museum - in a vacuum, photographed by themselves at shows, I wasn’t able to really tear things apart and see what makes them tick, and whether and how they tick differently than other things.

At this year’s Michigan Show, I jumped at the chance to pick this one up from Dan Reppert, partly because I couldn’t wait for the opportunity to spend some real quality time with one of these, and partly because . . . ok, I’ll admit it – because I really really frickin’ wanted one:



Mine sports blue and red bands – different from Mike’s and Pat’s, and especially nice for me since it matches my Craig double-ender:


Disassembled, I found that the Craig’s trim rings were held in place solely by virtue of being sandwiched between the pencil barrels and the center band; the Sheaffer bands were much better secured. Note also that the threads on the Sheaffer are less aggressive, although they are about the same gauge:


The example I picked up from Dan had the same diamond-shaped facets, different from the simple round Craig band:


But what I was most interested to see was how the Sheaffer double-ender compares with similar Sheaffer parts.  I compared it with a Sheaffer golf pencil and an oversized Balance pencil:


I had previously noted how the double-ender couldn’t have been made from two lower halves of golf pencils, simply joined by a plastic band: the imprints are on the barrels of the double-ender, while they are found on the caps of golf pencils.  Besides, the barrels were longer on the double-enders.  What this picture shows is that in addition to those differences, the threads on a golf pencil are much finer than what you’ll find on a double ender.  And a side-by-side comparison to the oversized Balance pencil at the top of this picture shows that the tip and the diameter are nowhere near as large as what you’ll find on a double-ender.

For whatever reason, Sheaffer put together these double-ended pencil from unique parts specially made for the occasion.

1 comment:

Matt said...

How does the double ender compare with the pencil on a combo?