Monday, December 28, 2015

Something Just a Little Off

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I picked up these two separately, the more recent example at the Scott Antique Show in Columbus last month:


Both are early Dur-O-Lite utility pencils; one has a decorative cap covering the eraser, while the other has a plain exposed eraser.  Both have that great early Dur-O-Lite imprint:


Something about these two spoke to me . . . they just looked a little bit different from what I remembered, although I couldn’t put my finger on it.  For the couple bucks each cost me, I thought I’d bring them home and compare them to the examples I had.  I remembered having a black one, and a red one, and a blue one to boot:


Side by side, the differences became more obvious.  All the utility pencils I’ve found along these lines had straight eraser ferrules and not a decorative cap, which is a little unusual.  But the really interesting part is the clips:


The examples I had found previously all had a clip that looks almost inset into the barrel – Wahl Eversharp pencils had a very similar feature, patented by John Wahl himself, among others, as number 1,279,186 on September 17, 1918:


If these were made around 1931, that would have been right around the time the patents would have expired.

But the clips on these more recent finds are equally distinctive – a square bolt holds the clip to the barrel, while a tab at the top bends into a slot in the barrel to keep it from spinning around like the second hand on a watch.  The only other place I’ve seen a clip like this . . . is also on an Eversharp:


That’s one of the Eversharp “bumblebee” dollar pencils, also from about 1931.  The only difference is the use of a hexagonal clip rather than a square one.

Were the newly established Dur-O-Lite (founded in 1925 in an investors’ schism over allowing Bakelite to acquire a controlling interest in Autopoint) and Eversharp (the company that chased out Charles Keeran, who went on to become involved with Autopoint) cross-licensing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that square headed bolt is original to the pencil?

Michael Little
Halfhyde@yahoo.com