Thursday, September 26, 2013

Better Than The Real Deal

The Springfield Antique Show in Springfield, Ohio is a monthly affair, and most of the time, it’s a lot like most other antique shows.  But a couple times a year, the show takes a big dose of steroids and turns into a monstrous, 2,000-plus dealer, indoor/outdoor, four-day affair called the “Extravaganza.”  It’s impossible to see everything in one day, so Janet and I have taken to getting a room over in Springfield and spending Saturday and Sunday browsing at a more leisurely pace.   Janet swears it’s all me stressing about whether we get to see everything, but secretly, I believe she can’t help but wonder what she might have missed, too.

We try to do all of the outdoor stuff first, because we never know when the Ohio weather will stop cooperating and besides, the indoor dealers are there every month – it’s the outdoor vendors you’ll typically see only on Extravaganza weekends.

Sunday morning, while we were browsing around outside, a big breakfast and a few belts of coffee caught up with us, so we ventured inside one of the main buildings to answer nature’s call.  Of course, it’s nearly impossible to walk down an aisle full of antiques without stopping to look at anything, and of course, the first vendor inside the door was someone I see every month and buy something from every month.

Usually it’s nothing spectacular she has for me – maybe a couple cheaper pencils in colors I don’t have or a few dip pen nibs that look just interesting enough to shell out a buck or two.  This time, I saw a great box marked “Zaner-Bloser” on the side, about half full of erasers, lead and ballpoint refills.  Since Zaner Bloser is a Columbus, Ohio company, I couldn’t resist.

But there was a problem.  The dealer wanted $12.00 firm for the box, I’d spent all my small bills and the dealer couldn’t break a fifty.  She said she’d hold it for me while I went to break a larger bill.  Just as I was about to leave her booth, I noticed this laying nonchalantly out in front, separate and apart from where she usually keeps her pen and pencil stuff:


To learn more, this full article is included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 2, available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and everywhere else you buy books, or you can order a copy signed by yours truly through the Legendary Lead Company HERE.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful clip, with its outstanding silver work.

Coincidentally, a couple of days after reading this, I was looking through the photos on Joe's Pencil Pages and spotted a similar type of clip in a vine or floral pattern. In place of the serpent's head and tail, it has ivy leaves or five-petaled flowers. The silver work is also elaborate, almost like the sea serpent. The vine clip has some stylistic differences: it coils in the opposite direction from the sea serpent and snakes, and the uncoiled part descends from a curve rather than a right angle.

The ivy clip is in Joe's box #060, which is in the 13th row, last column on the right. LLK

Jon Veley said...

Thanks for the comment, LLK (I'm trying to place the initials... have we met?). Yes, Joe has been a' droolin' over this one since this article first ran -- I'll have to point out his clip to him!

Anonymous said...

Jon, I just discovered your blog recently when I was googling for info on a Zaner-Bloser pencil that came with something unrelated. I quickly got hooked on the mini detective stories that you present here and ordered a couple of Wahl Eversharps from ebay to see what 1920s pencils are like.

I'm curious as to what kind of pencil Joe's clip is on. It has an interesting engraved leafy pattern but I can't see any name.

The sea serpent clip is amazing. LLK

Joe Nemecek said...

Hope this comment isn't too late to be seen: I've attached the pointer to my leaf clip pencil. As Jon suggested to me, it also is a Salz. Pencil is 3rd from the right

http://home.comcast.net/~joe120/pwpimages/Box%20%23060.JPG