Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I've Got Three Guesses . . . OK, Maybe More

It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten to circle back around to the Everfeed. When I last talked about the brand, it was in the article titled "My Find of the Year," originally posted December 31, 2011 (http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-find-of-year.html). Remember these?

That’s because I haven’t had anything else to talk about since that article was written. But then just a couple weeks ago, I found something – it’s the green pencil shown here with an Everfeed:


This one has the same imprint on the back side of the barrel, with Samuel Kanner’s patent number 1,592,502 on it – the same design Eversharp "borrowed" for all its repeating pencils and eventually had a court invalidate:


But on the clip, there’s something I wasn’t expecting:


"Nasco?" Searching around for what that one meant turned up a couple of possibilities. Did you know, for example, that there was a "Nasco" Fountain Pen made in Cleveland, Ohio? Here’s an advertisement, found in the February, 1913 issue of the Atlantic Educational Journal:


If this advertisement were a little closer to the probable date my Nasco pencil was made, around 1940, I might consider this case closed. However, it seems very unlikely that this particular Nasco Co. survived the Great Depression or, given the almost complete lack of any information about the company, that it even made it that far.

And then I found another advertisement in the October, 1922 issue of Office Appliances, in which a Nasco Co. of Chicago sought salesmen for its "Handypad line," which the company sold wholesale to stationers and other stores:


While this is a little closer to our target date, it would be nice if the ad mentioned that the company also sold other products. So, I’m left with one other guess as to who "Nasco" might have been, and this one is still in business today. According to the company’s website at www.enasco.com,
the company supplies a wide variety of educational supplies, including pencils. And, as the home page proudly proclaims, they have been in business for 70 years – almost dead on the date we’re looking for.

But then again, the answer could be D. None of the above. What if that middle letter isn’t an S? Maybe it’s supposed to be an L?

I did find an advertising pencil reading "Nalco Chicago" in an online auction – imprinted, of all things, on an Eversharp Monitor. Oh, the indignity of it all.

No comments: