Monday, July 15, 2013

A Few More Neat Eagles

I’ve found some really neat early pencils from the Eagle Pencil Company this year.  But I haven’t found them all.  Not by a longshot.

For example, Dan Linn had to send me a picture to let me know that the “Leopard,” which I featured here back on February 6 in yellow and purple (see “Sharpening My Understanding of the Spear” at http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/02/sharpening-my-understanding-of-spear.html), also came in red:


And in response to the same article, Daniel Kirchheimer had to send me pictures of the Number 532 “Fishbone:


And after my first meeting with Arthur Cox in Philadelphia last January, we met again at the Baltimore show in March, where we photographed some more things out of his collection, such as a red “Fishbone” and another variation on the Spear, this one called the number 826 “Geisha”:


The Geisha also has the Spear’s 1908 patent date:


And for those of us who only recently discovered the Eagle Trumpet in gold plate (myself included), it was also available in chrome-plated steel:


With an imprint that matches what’s found on the gold plated examples:


Art also brought with him that box full of Eagle Simplex pencils he has, so I could take a better picture of the box lid:


The box suggests that the Number 763 Simplex denoted black lead; but inside Art had several different variations:


Note the 763, 764 (with or without eraser), 765 and 766:


And then Art also had this spectacularly weird one:


This one is the number 532 “Mignon”:


And at the other end of the pencil, a tantalizing little bit:


The Spear’s 1908 patent date refers to a rather ho-hum design patent for what can only be described as a round pencil.  Since the tip on the Mignon doesn’t look like the one in the Spear patent drawings, I doubt that’s what “Patent Applied For” refers to on this example.