Monday, January 16, 2012

Time To Admit: I Have a Problem

Well, there I go again.

I wrote a couple weeks ago how my Sheaffer collection started with pencils that found their way to me, instead of me going out of my way to find them.   By the time I wrote The Catalogue, I had a pretty good display just from the happy accidents that landed them in my lap.   Actually, the Sheaffer section is the second largest section in the book (after Wahl Eversharp), from pages 135 to 148.

But that doesn't mean the display is comprehensive.   I never thought it was, but a dangerous thing has happened over the last couple months:  I've begun to notice it.

My first photo shows a pair of the oversized Sheaffer Balances with the "round ball" clip, circa 1929-1933.  This pair, as was the case with the Sheaffers I'd acquired, came to me in a lot of several pencils and they were not the real target of my affection -- however, my real target in acquiring this bunch was actually another Sheaffer.   The oversized Sheaffers are easy to pick out, even in the fuzziest of ebay pictures, because the band placement is noticably farther away from the middle joint . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company


No comments: