Saturday, May 5, 2018

Now I Can Quit Looking For It

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Something has bothered me about the “Alexander the Great” pencils I introduced here during the first year of the blog (http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2012/08/sylish.html):



Some years ago, I remembered having one example of this pencil, with one difference: it didn’t have “Alexander” written on the clip.  Unfortunately, at the time I didn’t put it in a place separate from the plain ol’ examples, and after going through all the ones still on display I’ve concluded that at some point I must have inadvertently culled it out of my collection, along with the other Alexander duplicates.

What has bugged me was that I couldn’t remember what name was imprinted on them.  Thanks to Chris Egolf, I can finally get a good nights’ sleep now, since he had these three in an online auction recently:


The name that I couldn’t recall was Gerlach-Barklow, the advertising specialty and art calendar company located in Joliet, Illinois.  I did a rundown of the brand here awhile back at https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2014/12/gerlach-barklow.html.


And I noticed something about these I didn’t tell you earlier.  If you pull out the eraser, these have kind of a neat feature:


The metal retainers are adjustable, so as the erasers wears down you can push it up.

No comments: